Fall 2019 Semester and the Coronavirus
In-Class Instruction Resumes on August 31
June 26, 2020
The Administration of the Pontifical Faculty of the Immaculate Conception is following the progress of the phased reopening of the DC metropolitan area as well as the data reported daily on the number of confirmed cases of COVID, its community spread, and its transmission rate. The local area entered phase two of reopening on June 22, and we anticipate entering phase three well before the end of August.
We want to protect the good of the in-person classroom instruction that characterizes the pedagogy of our academic programs and our mission. Noting that we are a small graduate school, and with the goal of taking reasonable steps to ensure the safety of students and faculty, we have determined the following regarding the Fall 2020 Semester:
- In-class instruction will begin as scheduled on Monday, August 31. The semester will follow the academic calendar found on our school’s website without modification.
- Inasmuch as possible, classes will be scheduled to meet in rooms that allow for some social distancing, but such distancing will be limited given the nature of our academic facilities.
- Classrooms and public areas will be sanitized every evening.
- Signage will remind students and faculty to practice good hygiene by washing their hands frequently. Hand sanitizer will also be available.
- Students who exhibit any signs of illness, such as fever, dry cough, fatigue, etc., should not come to class. Those students should report their illness to their professors, the Registrar, and the Dean.
If any student has circumstances, e.g., personal health concerns, that mitigate against attending class in-person during the Fall 2020 semester given our limitations on social distancing, he or she should contact the Dean to arrange attendance through the Zoom platform.
Should there be a surge of COVID cases during the semester, we will follow the guidance of the District of Columbia. If it becomes necessary to close our facilities to the public, all instruction will move to the Zoom platform according to the model employed during the Spring 2020 semester.
Additionally, all faculty and students should note the following:
- Access to the Dominican Priory and to the Dominican community’s liturgies will be determined later by the Prior of the community.
- Whether there will be a public Mass of the Holy Spirit on August 31 has not yet been determined.
- Orientation for new students will proceed as scheduled at 3:15pm in Aquin Hall on Monday, August 31.
- Decisions about the Spring 2021 semester will be made at a later date.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Father Thomas Petri, O.P.